Thursday, September 17, 2009

Quiz 3.1-3.4

I have just finished grading the indicated quiz. The average was an 80.8. This is very low. I know the material was difficult, but we need to clear this up after harvest because we will really start running when we get back. Derivatives is a large concept that has many pieces. If you miss one, you could be lost for awhile or never come back. I want all of you to stay in this class, so I want to work on getting your skills up to scratch when we get back. I think you should really pick up and study the first three sections a little over harvest. You are getting ready to head into the real world so you are in charge of assigning yourself some work to do so that you will be ready to continue on when we return.

Some ideas that bothered most of you.
- Limit definition of the derivative, how to use it and when.
- Graphing the derivative
- Product Rule
- Quotient Rule
- Derivative notation
- Basic algebra skills (I saw a lot of illegal cancellations)

Last year, I started mandatory tutoring sessions about this time. I hope that you will come in on your own accord. Mr. Sprague and other tutors are available in the Transitions center or after school, but they are not the same as me. They are usually very good, but sometimes I teach it differently then they do. In other classes, this is usually not a problem, but in this one it can be. I hope many of you will come visit me the first week back to pick up the missing concepts. If you don't visit me, and you should, I will probably come visit you.

Also, don't hesitate to place a comment on this blog or send me an email. I am pretty good at responding. I still have students from last year writing to me to help them solve some calculus problems. I am here to help. I will stay after school till about 5pm, if I am needed. Just let me know so we can solve this issue ahead of time and not try to catch up when it is too late.

Have a nice harvest vacation, but practice some calculus.

No comments:

Post a Comment